Our 3-day, instructor-led Benchmarking Best Practices Training course provides a logical, step-by-step methodology that will enable any agency to properly benchmark its maintenance function. Upon completion of this course, students will be able to do the following:
- Associate benchmarking objectives with the organizational strategy
- Design a benchmarking plan for their organization
- Understand the fundamentals of data collection and analysis
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Currently, there are no public classes scheduled. Please contact a Phoenix TS Training Consultant to discuss hosting a private class at 240-667-7757.
Foundations of Benchmarking
- Historical context
- Benchmarking in the Twenty-First Century
Benchmarking and Performance Measures
- Purpose of performance measures
- IPOLO model of performance measures
- Performance measures and government
- Performance measures and management
- Importance of measures, comparisons, and benchmarking
- Selecting measures for benchmarking
- Measurement challenges in the public and nonprofit sectors
Preparing for Benchmarking
- Determine readiness for benchmarking
- Select a benchmarking method
- Major benchmarking pitfalls
The Traditional Benchmarking Method
- Other views of the benchmarking methods
- Eleven-step traditional benchmarking method
- Examples of traditional benchmarking
- Warnings about traditional benchmarking
The Solution-Driven Benchmarking Method
- Snapshot of the solution-driven method
- Steps in the solution-driven method
- Examples of solution-driven benchmarking
- Common sense or methodology?
- Warnings about the solution-driven method?
Benchmarking in State and Local Governments
- Historical overview
- Benchmarking and state governments
- Why state and local governments pursue benchmarking
- Who should participate in a benchmarking project?
- Is the public sector better off due to benchmarking?
- Criminal intake in Salt Lake City, Utah: a solution-driven approach in the public sector
Benchmarking in Nonprofits
- What is a nonprofit?
- Pressure to benchmark
- Nonprofit leadership and solution-driven benchmarking
- Examples of solution-driven benchmarking in nonprofits
- Nonprofit benchmarks study
- Selecting potential benchmarking partners
- Thinking ahead
Benchmarking in the International Community
- General characteristics of international benchmarking
- Examples of international benchmarking
- Lessons learned
Benchmarking for Improving Accountability
- What is accountability?
- Increased attention to accountability
- How benchmarking contributes to accountability
Benchmarking and Performing an Audit
- Why use benchmarking in audits?
- Basic benchmarking skills for auditors
- Using traditional benchmarking in audits
- Using solution-driven benchmarking in audits
- An example from the DOI
- Warnings about the solution-driven method
- Solution-driven benchmarking and the audit plan
- Sustaining the momentum for benchmarking: creating a learning organization
- Conducting needed research
- Next steps
Benchmarking Best Practices Training FAQs
People interested in benchmarking practices, data analysis and comparison, as well as, all levels of management staff and professionals in both operations and support functions.